After choosing a book to read, I have decided to analyze a poem. The poem I analyzed is “Coca Cola and Coco Frio”, written by Martín Espada. Martín is a so-called Nuyorican, a Puerto Rican living in New York. Not only he was a Nuyorican, but his father and grandfather were also Nuyoricans, and they took parts in the civil rights movement for the Puerto Rican community. Martín was introduced to the movement by them, and he participated, too. Taking his background into account, I’m guessing that the fat boy in the poem is Martín himself, and that he is sharing his childhood memories of his trip to Puerto Rico. In the first stanza, the fat boy is disappointed to know that even in a country far from Brooklyn (apparently the city where the boy is living), he was served a glass of coca cola, which wasn’t so special to him. His aunt even sang the coca cola jingle, which could be regarded as the effect of WWⅡ. In the second stanza, however, the boy experiences what he was expecting; a drink of Coco Frio(coconut). It was the taste of Puerto Rico itself, and the boy was amazed. Finally, in the third and last stanza, the author is concerned that in the future, many unique cultural features of the countries would be lost and abandoned, like the unsucked coco frios of his motherland. I totally agree with the author. Even in Japan, not only coca cola, but also other western-born things that are eating up the Japanese cultural features, like McDonald’s and Starbucks. As for my opinion, since Japan especially has unique features, we should respect and appreciate the traditions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Restaurant Review!!
The tacos I made....wasn't too bad, but I'm not sure if I could call it delicious. So, I've decided to visit a taco place in Ha...
-
The tacos I made....wasn't too bad, but I'm not sure if I could call it delicious. So, I've decided to visit a taco place in Ha...
-
After choosing a book to read, I have decided to analyze a poem. The poem I analyzed is “Coca Cola and Coco Frio”, written by Martín Espada....
-
In the near future, I am planning to post a review on a restaurant; a restaurant that would be suitable for this blog. Although I have only...
No comments:
Post a Comment